Howard County honors veterans on Veterans Day and throughout November and December with programs to celebrate the men and women who have served and continue to serve.
- Howard County Chamber/GovConnects Salute to Veterans Luncheon: Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. at The Great Room at Savage Mill, 8600 Foundry Street, Savage
Hear the latest development plans for Fort Meade and how they will impact Howard County from Garrison Commander Col. Tom Rickard.
- Veterans Day Waffle Bar: Nov. 9 at 9:30 a.m. at Bain 50+ Center. Event is free.
- Howard County Commission for Veterans and Military Families meeting: Nov. 9 at 7 p.m. at 6751 Columbia Gateway Drive
- Vet-in-School Pilot Kickoff at Howard High: Nov. 10
To encourage all schools to recognize Veteran’s Day, Leadership U, the Office of Veterans and Military Families, the Commission for Veterans and Military Families, and county veteran service organizations have partnered to create a presentation for all social studies classes.
- Howard Community College Honors Veteran Students and Staff: Nov. 10 from 10-11 a.m. at Horowitz Visual and Performing Arts Center
- Columbia Association Veteran’s Celebration: Nov. 10 from noon to 1 p.m. at the Columbia Lakefront
- Veterans Eat Free at Mission BBQ: Nov. 10: Standard opening at 11 a.m. Anthem ceremony is at noon.
World War II veterans eat free, like any day of the year. Free sandwiches and cake for veterans all day.
- Donations Day at Columbia Yoga Center to benefit veterans: Nov. 10 from 6-7:30 p.m. at Parkridge Plaza Building. 8950 Route 108, Suite 109, Columbia
This mixed-level donation class celebrates those who support the country through their military service. All proceeds will go to Warriors at Ease, whose mission is to train teachers to provide yoga and meditation services to military service members, veterans and their families worldwide.
- Gold Star Memorial Rededication: Nov. 11 at 10 a.m. at Old Town Ellicott City
The Howard County Garden Club installed and dedicated the Blue Star Memorial in May 2013. During the flood in Ellicott City in July 2016, the boulder and plaque were washed away. The plaque was found and returned about six weeks later. The rededication will take place in front of the Tourism Building. A reception will follow inside. All are invited.
- St. Paul’s Catholic Church Veteran Memorial service followed by a “military version” chow-line luncheon at Old Town Ellicott City: Nov. 11 at 11:11 a.m.
Veterans Day is observed every year on Nov. 11. The obervance was originally called “Armistice Day” when warring parties during World War I agreed to stop fighting in 1918 on Nov. 11 at 11 a.m. — the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month.
- Veterans Day Parade in historic Ellicott City: Nov. 11 at 1 p.m.
The Ellicott City Partnership is seeking participants.
- Veterans Day/Marine Corps Birthday Celebration: Nov. 12 from 5:30-10:30 p.m. at VFW Post 7472 in Ellicott City.
For ticket information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “Made With Love” Hat and Scarf Collection Drive: Daily through Nov. 15
Knit or crochet a hat or scarf for a deployed service member.
- Leadership Howard County hosts Mission BBQ: Supporting Those Who Serve, luncheon and gift drive: Nov. 17 from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m. at The Meeting House
Mission BBQ founder Bill Krause will share his story of building a business that honors and supports military service members, veterans and first responders.
The annual gift drive will support Fisher House at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center with donations of gift cards and other items for families of service members.
- Symphony of Lights Military Appreciation Days: Dec. 7 & Dec. 14 from 6:30-10:30 p.m. in Columbia
Cost is $10 per vehicle with valid military ID. Not valid with other discounts.
- Wreaths Across America: Dec. 16 at noon at St. John Lutheran Church, 6004 Waterloo Road, Columbia and Crest Lawn Memorial Gardens, Marriottsville
Editor’s note: For more information, call Lisa B. Terry, Office of Veterans and Military Families, Department of Community Resources and Services, at 410-313-6400 or email email@example.com howardcountymd.gov/veterans.