The Fort Meade Joint Installation Tax Center will open Jan. 22 through April 17 for tax assistance and electronic filing.
Tax filers may call to schedule an appointment on or after opening day.
Hours are Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m The Tax Center will be closed daily from noon to 1 p.m.
The office is located on the first floor of the Office of the Staff Judge Advocate at 4217 Roberts Ave. and Morrison Street. The entrance is on the side of the building that faces the large parking lot.
The JITC is a free, tax-preparation service available to all active-duty service members, retirees and dependents. All clients will be required to show a valid military, dependent or retiree ID.
The office is staffed by volunteer service members and civilians and operates under the IRS Volunteer Information Tax Assistance program. The scope of services is determined by IRS rules and regulations, Army Regulation 27-3, and the Fort George G. Meade JITC Standard Operating Procedure.
During inclement weather, the Tax Center will follow the Fort Meade garrison adverse weather status. For adverse weather closing and delay updates, call 301-677-6323.
Bring the following documents at the time of your appointment:
- Social Security cards for yourself, spouse and all dependents
- All income documents including: W-2 for wages; 1099 for interest and miscellaneous income; and stock and mutual fund cost basis and sale price for no more than 10 transactions
- A check or other document displaying account number and routing symbol for direct deposit to your bank institution
In addition, bring the following documents or other information substantiating tax credits of deductions for:
- Dependent child care including taxpayer ID or Social Security numbers for child care provider
- Interest on education loans
- Itemized expenses
- Rental income and expenses (for no more than one rental property)
- 2016 Income Tax Return (if available)
- Power of attorney if signing for your spouse
For information about services or to schedule an appointment, call the Tax Center at 301-677-9366 on or after Jan. 22.