Key timelines for filing claims

Personnel claims include claims for loss or damage to household goods and privately owned vehicles during PCS shipment, or damage to personal property while stored at government expense.

Claims also include loss or damage to personal property located in government quarters or other authorized locations that were caused by events such as storms, floods or power outages.

Soldiers and Department of the Army civilian employees are eligible to file personnel claims under certain circumstances.

Since July 5, 2017, U.S. Army installation claims offices no longer process and adjudicate personnel claims — household goods, privately owned shipments, and incident-to-service claims.

The U.S. Army Center for Personnel Claims Support (CPCS) was established as the centralized processing and adjudication center for all Army claims and is located in Fort Knox, Ky.

The new CPCS now processes all claims of Soldiers and employees in CONUS, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

Soldiers and their family members, and DA civilian employees filing for household goods damaged or lost during a PCS move must give notice of their intent to file a claim. This is done by providing the Transportation Service Provider with the pink form (DD Form 1840/1840R, “Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery/Notice of Loss and/or Damage”) or similar form within 75 days from the date of delivery.

File your Loss/Damage Report directly with the TSP or in the DPS Claims Module at You must log into your DPS account.

If you failed to provide notice of loss or damage to your TSP within the 75-day deadline, you may qualify for an exception if you show good cause.

Good cause is typically limited to one of the following reasons:

Officially recognized absence (for example: TDY or off-post training exercises) resulting in claimant’s absence from official duty station for a significant portion of the notice period

Hospitalization of claimant for a significant portion of the notice period

Substantiated misinformation concerning notice requirements given to the claimant by TSP (moving company) or government personnel.

Once notice is given, you must file a complete claim with the TSP (including information on damaged items, original purchase price, repair estimates and replacement costs) for full replacement value within nine months from the date of delivery.

If the TSP does not act on the claim or is unable to reach a reasonable settlement with the claimant, you must file no later than two years from delivery the claims online.

Electronically submit required documents to the CPCS at Filing with CPCS will subject your claim to standard depreciation rules.

For more information on how to file a claim, go to or call the CPCS at 1-502-626-3000 or DSN 536-3000.

You also can email CPCS by email at

For general information, call the Fort Meade Claims Office at 301-677-9898.

Facebook Comments