File a claim if tires damaged by pothole on post

By Daniel A. Lauretano, Supervisory Attorney Advisor, Chief, Claims Division, OSJA

Did you hit a pothole on post? Did you damage your tire or experience a blowout?

You may be able to file a claim to repair or replace the tire.

Anyone who lives, works or visits Fort Meade has probably seen a pothole or two on the installation — some small, some very large. Fort Meade is undergoing numerous construction, renovation and repair projects including road improvements and repair.

Inevitably, service members, government employees and contractors, their family members, residents and visitors to Fort Meade may experience damage to their tire, requiring repair or replacement.

The Fort Meade Office of the Staff Judge Advocate, Claims Division, is authorized to pay certain claims for damage to personal property including damage or destruction to your tire as a result of hitting a pothole on post.

If the road is being repaired or improved by a contractor, and you suffer damage or destruction to a tire, you will have to file with the contractor’s insurance carrier.

Here are some tips to help you navigate this issue should you experience damage to a tire.

First, call the Fort Meade Police and report the incident. The police officer will, at minimum, memorialize the incident and record important information about the incident and the persons involved.

Second, notify the Fort Meade Safety Office of the incident at 301-677-2396.

Finally, visit the Fort Meade Claims Office and fill out a Standard Form 95. The form includes:

  • Date and time of the incident
  • Exact location of the pothole that damaged or destroyed your tire
  • Extent of the damage
  • Full name and address of the claimant
  • List of witnesses who may have observed the incident
  • Amount to repair or replace the tire
  • Information about your insurance and whether you filed a claim with your insurance company
  • Your signature and date on the form

For more information, call the Fort Meade Claims Office at 301-677-9898.

Facebook Comments

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.